Tips for when racing
Hey Swimmers.... i hope you are all ok?!?!? Here's something that might interest you swimmers....there are big meets that are coming up such as the Nationals, Western counties etc and i want you all to do well as you deserve it, and as a club captain i thought that i would give you my support and my tips on racing.
1. Focus on your race only.....like my dad used to say to me...its just you and that stopwatch!! forget everyone else. It's true, the more you swim your own race, the faster you will be than trying to beat someone.
2. Relax!! i know that sounds easier said than done... but avoid looking round at the other swimmers. Block out any sounds that you might hear as this could put you off your race. If you have a routine before your race, then do it... this will feel normal to you and will help you relax.
3. Believe in yourself....you can do it....you have worked really hard for this. Try not to say 'i wish i could win... or.. 'im going to try and win'... because thats not believing in yourself. Have faith in your talent and set goals that you know that you can achieve....talk to your coach and they will help set a realistic goal.
4. Rest is vital before and after your race. you need to save your energy. So Walk, dont run, Drive dont walk, sleep if you can, dont sit and finally when its time to go fast..... GO FAST!!!
5. RACE TIP- when racing it is 80-90% physical and tactical and only 10-20% mental. Any more on concentrating on your race and you will find it hard. Let the body do the work and your mind go along with it. Think back to a disappointing race where you didnt do so well,you could probably recall it and you would describe it using lots of 'feeling' words such as: stroke was strong, felt loose, feeling tired etc
However if you think back to a good race...were you thinking about anything??? probably not... this is because your mind was relaxed. This is the way to swim your race because you are thinking quietly but the thoughts are going into technical and tactical situations without you realising. SO my saying goes..... DON'T TRY TO DO IT...JUST DO IT!!!!
6.And finally the nerves...how do you overcome them???
Well there are many ways but through research i have discovered that the reason why you have nerves is because your scared and don't want to fail..... the best tip for this is to FACE YOUR FEARS...do not fight this fear just enjoy yourselves and do what it takes to compete well.
The reason why the swimmers race is because of the excitement and adrenaline rush and why many Olympic Swimmers keeping coming back for more! They love the feeling!!!
SO SWIMMERS...HAVE NO FEAR...RELAX....BELIEVE....STAY FOCUSED.... AND FINALLY HAVE FUN!! BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL GREAT SWIMMERS!!!
love Caroline XxX
- Caroline on 23rd Jul 08
- Caroline on 7th May 08
- Tom Bartlett on 22nd Oct 07